[extropy-chat] MIT Technology Review Announces $20, 000 SENS Challenge

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 29 01:09:08 UTC 2005

--- "Reason ." <reason at longevitymeme.org> wrote:
> Regardless of which explanation is correct, biogerontologists
> apparently need an incentive to consider SENS. To that end,
> Technology Review is announcing a prize for any molecular biologist
> working in the field of aging who is willing to take up the
> challenge: submit an intellectually serious argument that SENS is so
> wrong that it is unworthy of learned debate, and you will be paid
> $20,000 if it convinces independent referees. In the case that even
> $20,000 is insufficient to motivate the relevant experts, we also
> invite contributions to the fund; anyone wishing to pledge should
> contact me.

And what happens if they do not find one?  The debate over whether to
even consider it continues; nothing has been disproven.  It would seem
more productive to offer the $20,000 to anyone who can solidly make the
case either way: that is, if they can prove that there's something
worth investigating *or* prove (rather than just claim with little
evidence) that it's rubbish.