[extropy-chat] MIT Technology Review Announces $20, 000 SENS Challenge

Reason reason at longevitymeme.org
Fri Jul 29 02:36:40 UTC 2005

-> Jeff Medina

> I'm baffled as to why this is considered worthy of $20,000.

Publicity. At least from my point of view, but I'm not putting up the
dollars. I believe that Pontin most probably looks on it as advertising
expenditure for the TR, but Aubrey is more interested in actually getting a
good public critique/exchange from someone who knows the science.

The other view is that it's a useful experiment, attempting to quantify the
resistance to critiquing SENS. If no-one bites, no money is spent and a
minimal amount of publicity is generated for SENS, healthy life extension
and the TR. If someone bites, then everyone involved benefits further, and a
sticky wheel in the scientific progress of SENS is - getting the scientific
debate started properly - is helped along in its revolutions. The potential
benefit is well worth the outlay.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme