[extropy-chat] MIT Technology Review Announces $20, 000 SENS Challenge

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at gen.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 29 20:02:10 UTC 2005

Hi Joao,

> I wonder what I would do with $20,000? Then again, get back to me when it
> reaches $100,000.
>
> Just kidding,
>
> Joao

This was of course not lost on me!  It is the reason why I prevailed on
Jason to invite contributions to the pot, which was not in his initial
plan.  I intend to make clear to anyone of independent means whom I'm
exposed to that $20k is only about a man-month.

However, there may be a case for providing a place where researchers
can publicly sign the following statement:

  "SENS is certainly too wrong to be worthy of learned debate, but my
   time is so valuable that $20,000 is insufficient to buy the time it
   would take me to write 750 words explaining why."

Are you the first signatory?  "Just kidding."  :-)

Cheers A