Fwd: [extropy-chat] Open Source Licensing - help!

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 08:01:08 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com>
Date: 30-Jul-2005 17:30
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Open Source Licensing - help!
To: Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net>

> Release it under the GPL. Anyone who plays by the GPL rules will
> automatically
> make your code, comments, and copyright notices available to other
> users, and will
> not be otherwise constrained. If you do not use a GPL-compatible
> license, then your
> code cannot be used by the biggest and most main-stream open source
> community,
> and you fail to meet your "reputation" goal.   Also make it known that
> you will
> license your code to anyone who contacts you, at no cost, under a
> license with an
> "acknowledgment" similar to the original BSD license. This meets your other
> goals.  Since you are the copyright holder, you are free to dual-license
> the code
> in this fashion.

That's an interesting idea, dual license with GPL and an
acknowledgement license. I'm leaning toward an Artistic license (like
Perl?), because I don't want people to have to contact me for
permission for anything (it tends to mean people go elsewhere). Hmm...

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *