[extropy-chat] Frozen water ice found by ESA Mars Express on Mars.

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sat Jul 30 15:01:44 UTC 2005

You hit on two very important points here, Jeff.

First is - obviously there is some interpreting going on of the image
- I think the lower image further down the page might be a little
more accurate to the real. I also looked at the histogram of the raw
data (ok, of the image format of the raw data, yes, another degree of
separation) and found that it was offset/compressed a little to one
side. This means the full range of light to dark was not expressed as
it may and probably would be. This brings me to point two.

At the distance of Mars, there is substantially less light, Jupiter
and Saturn even less. The images we see are being "pushed" into our
range of brightness. The colors for Mars and the other planets are
probably near correct (unless intentionally false-colored which
should be indicated), but every planet is always shown to us as if it
were illuminated at a distance from the sun equal to Earths. If we
were actually in Jupiter's orbit, for example, it would be much, much
darker than the pictures we've seen. Assuming you are using your
human eyes of course.

]3