[extropy-chat] Frozen water ice found by ESA Mars Express on Mars.

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Sun Jul 31 00:12:49 UTC 2005

Mars, at opposition is almost at perihelion - only an additional ~.4
AU, but at its furthest is actually ~.65 AU. So opposition isn't the
average.

Earth's surface is ~1 kw/m^2, which is true, but on Mars it is less
than 600w/m^2 = ~60%, i.e. substantially less. At Jupiter we're down
to ~50 w/m^2, Saturn ~15.

We also have to consider the rate that light drops off as a distance
from its source, and that the albedo of Mars is about half that of
Earth's.

]3