[extropy-chat] BT's futurist technology timeline

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 09:22:27 UTC 2005

A Technology Timeline compiled by researchers at BT's futurology department
has come up with a list of advances it says will change tomorrow's world.
And they should know what they're talking about - in the past they've
correctly predicted text messaging, email spam and internet search engines.
The list of futurist technologies expected to hit the marketplace in the
future begins with emotionally responsive toys in 2006-2010 - responding to
the sound of its owner's voice, these toys will react with a variety of
emotions. In 2008-2012 we may see video tattoos and medicine delivered by
fruit: scientists will be able to produce genetically modified fruit that
carry medicines and extra vitamins. For example apples could contain the
polio vaccine.
Later we may see computers becoming smarter than humans and eventually being
granted basic human rights, space elevators, colonies on the Moon and Mars,
fully immersive and interactive entertainment (viewers play roles in VR
movies), and eventually (2051+) the Holy Grail of technology - mind
uploading: EVERYTHING in your brain - thoughts, feelings and memories - will
be transferred to a computer, ensuring a form of digital immortality if
eventually uploaded into a human brain later. Read the full story on
mirror.co.uk<http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=15779660%26method=full%26siteid=94762-name_page.html>
.
Though such technologies timelines may hype certain technologies and fail to
predict others, they are always useful to guide our forward thinking in
technology, business and societal issues.