[extropy-chat] IT Conversations -- a selection of conference talks available online

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:24:29 UTC 2005

On 7/29/05, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> I've been looking through <http:///www.itconversations.com> and have
> selected 20 talks that look particularly interesting (and that are rated
> highly). If anyone has listened to any of these, I'd like to hear your opinion.
>
> Max

IT Conversations makes many of their audio recordings available as
podcasts, including a selection from the Accelerating Change 2004
conference. That conference included presentations by Doug Engelbart
and Gordon Bell. Even my mother found Engelbart's talk interesting,
especially after I told her he invented the mouse.

> Free Culture, Chapter 1
> Lawrence Lessig
> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail111.html
>
> AKMA asked, "Anyone feel like recording a chapter of Lawrence Lessig's new
> book?" Joi Ito then said, "What a great idea!" In less than 24 hours, this
> idea mushroomed into a significant collaboration by a team of bloggers and
> others to record and publish all of Larry's book. Here is our contribution,
> Chapter One: Creators, recorded by IT Conversations host Doug Kaye.
> [runtime: 00:17:45, 6.1 mb, recorded 2004-03-27]

The entire text can be had from LegalTorrents, and probably from other
places too.

> Neil Gershenfeld, Director of MIT's Center for Bits and Atoms
> Bits and Atoms
> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail460.html
>
> Imagine a future where personal fabricators promise the ability to make
> almost anything. Neil Gershenfeld, Director of MIT's Center for Bits and
> Atoms, explains how personal fabricators promise to revolutionize our world
> as PCs did a generation ago by enabling us to design and make the tools and
> products we want in our own homes. A panel of experts then considers the
> implications of personal fabrication and the role of the workshop innovator
> and "hands on design" in modern science and engineering. [ETech audio from
> IT Conversations]
> [runtime: 00:55:17, 25.3 mb, recorded 2005-03-16]

C-SPAN did a series called "Digital Library," IIRC. Video archives can
be had from CSPAN.org. (Real Media streams, contact me off-list in a
few days if you can't find them.) Gershenfeld's presentation there
communicates better than his writing in the recently released "FAB:
The Coming Revolution on your Desktop--From Personal Computers to
Personal Fabrication." A few more resources for it exist at MIT's Open
CourseWare site.

> Universal Access to All Knowledge
> Brewster Kahle, Internet Archive
> http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail400.html
>
> Advances in computing and communications mean that we can cost-effectively
> store every book, sound recording, movie, software package, and public web
> page ever created, and provide access to these collections via the Internet
> to students and adults all over the world. By mostly using existing
> institutions and funding sources, we can build this as well as compensate
> authors within what is the current worldwide library budget. The talk
> offers an update on the current state of progress towards that ideal, which
> would allow us to bequeath an accessible record of our cultural heritage to
> our descendants. [IT Conversations audio from the SDForum Distinguished
> Speaker Series.]
> [runtime: 01:38:32, 45.1 mb, recorded 2004-12-16]

Compare with Gordon Bell's AC2004 talk on My LifeBits. It helps to
also read the various papers from Microsoft Research. Mr. Bell doesn't
do a good job of delivery in the talk.

That said, has anyone a link for any presentations by Thomas Barnett?
Discussions of the results of the New Map war game especially interest
me.

--
Jay Dugger
BLOG: http://hellofrom.blogspot.com/