[extropy-chat] Re: A Framework for Humane Globalism/Capitalism/Politics

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 20:38:05 UTC 2005

I am responding to Max's listed reading suggestions I have had time to look
over.  What a collection of ideas from the perspectives of economists,
entrepreneurs, and also on governing, reporting and social responsibility.
A few quick thoughts below:

1.  New Kind of Entitlement

** “De Soto notes that around 90 percent of the population of developing
countries operates outside the formal economy.”

**This is really good.  A few months ago I posted a query regarding
democracy + capitalism (not the bad capitalism folks love to hate, but the
meaning of finance, investment and profit), by which I was looking for
ideas about global commerce and trade and if much of the material I had
been ready by futurists was actually on target or merely a futurist’s
pipedream for bringing poor countries, the developing countries, into the
global arena in order to bring better circumstances to their citizens.  De
Soto would be very worthwhile reading in this regard.

2.  The World Bank’s Innovation Market

**Interesting project - Innovation Marketplace to combat global poverty.
The 2000 Marketplace judges distributed $5 million across 43 grants,
ranging from $29,000 to $380,000.

3.  Value Shift: Why Companies Must Merge Social and Financial Imperatives
to Achieve

**I wonder how many corporate executives and their mangers have bought this
book and are following its principles.  It is true, as the book suggests
that corporations have become anthropomorphized – they have to respond to
characteristics of ethics, just as a person should.  If the truth be told,
businesses do want to please as long as it does not take too much of a bite
out of their pocketbooks.  People are the same as well, by and large.
Altruism comes in many shapes and sizes.

4.  Fields of Online Dreams

**Fabulous!  I like the implications of this type of real-life event.

5.  The Great Leap: Driving Innovation From the Base of the Pyramid

** Economists/businesspeople have a talent.  It would be a strange turn of
events if their talents could be applied to “transform the poorer economies
while enabling companies from developed countries to continue generating
shareholder value.”

6.  How To Change the World: Lessons for Entrepreneurs from Activists

**Scenario planning, whether it be in backcasting, incasting, wheels, or
any other method we strategist use, helps people understand what the
consequences of actions could potentially be, based on future scenarios.
For transhumanism, this is the method that I use because it offers best
possible futures based on variables that offer different perspectives and
which parameters can be changed showing what could happen “if”.

7.  How To Change The World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas

** “This is a wonderfully hopeful and enlightening book. The stories of
these social entrepreneurs will inspire and encourage many people who seek
to build a better world.” -Nelson Mandela

8.	Social Capitalists: The top 20 groups that are changing the world

**These organizations are focused on performing a specific task for
humanity.  Very impressive.  As an aside thought - Extropy Institute has
been focused on introducing transhumanism to the world, which has been a
big project.  While transhumanist have been reshaping reality to make the
world a better place, it seems small as far as human needs when considering
the milestones of these organizations that accomplish so much.

In Defense of Globalization

**Much of the preconditioned landscape that Bhagwati faced with giving
globalization a “face” has been the negativity of the word the past two
decades, and more just the past 5 years.  Globalization had once been a
positive, inspiring world.

The New Pluralism

** Another great suggestion.  “Much of recent political theory has been
aimed at how to acknowledge and recognize, rather than deny, the diversity
inherent in contemporary life.”  I do think politics is best when applied
to a specific issue and approached from varied points of views to determine
best possible future.

Thanks!

Natasha