[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Asperger kid

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 3 00:15:39 UTC 2005

[Yesterday there was a great article about Lewis Schofield, 9, in the
paper. He has Asperger Syndrome, ADD, obsessive-compulsive disorder,
oppositional defiance disorder, severe allergies, asthma and learning
disabilities. His website is interesting! Check it out, and since he has
no friends, why not email him? I've copied one of his stories below. -
Kelly]

http://www.thisislewis.net

How old are you?

On my 6th birthday, the bus driver who took my mom and me to the
daycare centre, asked me how old I was that day.

"Today, I'm 3, 5, 7, 10, 16, 18, 25, 32 and 48," I answered.  He
scrunched up his face at me, surprised at my answer.

"But Lewis," he said with a smile on his face, "I thought today was your
birthday. Aren't you turning 6 today?" I jumped for a minute. I didn't
realize the bus driver meant how old was my body.  I thought he meant
how old was I -- Lewis -- on the day that just happened to be my
birthday.

"Well,yes, today my body is 6," I answered, "but the rest of me is 3, 5,
7, 10, 16, 18, 25, 32 and 48."

"How can you be all those ages at once if your body is only 6?" he
asked.

I took a moment to get the words just right in my head and then said,
"You see, I have many abilities but they aren't all at the same level.
So today, I'm 3, 5, 7, 10, 16, 18, 25, 32 and 48.  And my body is 6."

© Lewis 2001

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program