[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Filmateleven.

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 16:39:14 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2005, at 9:04 PM, Mike Lorrey wrote:
> > --- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> >>>

> >> I know where you are coming from, I think, and so I accept that
> >> you may have thought that was Samantha's implication but she
> >> says it wasn't and I'm inclined to take her at her word.
> >>
> >> Could she have been gentler to you? Definately, but a lot has
> >> been said on this topic of abortion including by you Mike. Some
> >> of it quite good stuff. Yet you seem to relish the raising of
> issues
> >> more than you care for the locking in off any incremental
> >> progress and that gets wearying sometimes.
> >>

> > At risk of "but she started it", I tend to weary from seeing a lack
> > of progress, even incremental, by Samantha. I accept her claims
> > she didn't mean it the way it read. I hope she appreciates the
> > impression she made by the way she wrote what she did.
>
> I said what I meant.  A foetus only becomes a child if the woman
> carrying it decides that is her wish.   Looks pretty darn obvious to
> me and quite needing saying when even a blastocyst is being freely
> called a child.

On the contrary, Samantha, your statement makes the wildly bold
assertion that a fetus is a blastocyst as long as the woman chooses to
call it that. That is, at risk of causing further strife, clearly
sociopathic.

> You launched into a bunch of wild accusations
> against purported whole groups of women and what you think I think
> rather than what I said.  You then compared my position to a dictator
> and said I need a smack.  Who the hell is saying the more outrageous
> things here?

Your contorting a metaphor into a claim of a physical threat is just
the sort of wild and outrageously irrational hyperbole I've come to
expect from you. It is highly objectionable. I was asking rhetorical
questions. You went off the deep end.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com