[extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public! Filmateleven.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 07:10:20 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Oy, a man cannot go for a relaxing weekend of ropin
> and ridin
> without coming home to find his favorite e-list
> members
> abusing each other.
>
> Abortion is a topic so difficult society has been
> unable
> to resolve it.  We the few, the proud, are unlikely
> to solve it.

Amen Spike. I have been purposely abstaining from this
debate. I know the arguments from both sides inside
and out and I still cannot reach a decision as to
whether all abortions should be legal or not. I guess
one of the downsides of "winner take all" politics is
that you aren't allowed to make such choices on a case
by case basis and instead are forced to make some
blanket edict. I cannot bring myself to do this so I
have come up with the perfect personal solution.

Since my Y chromosome makes me highly unlikely to ever
have to make a choice as to whether or not to get an
abortion, I don't feel a need to have an opinion on
this matter. It's the same reason I don't bother on
opining on whether tampons are superior to maxipads. I
say leave the woman business to the women.

I have, however, made some observations regarding this
issue.

1. I have never met a woman who has admitted to
getting an abortion that did not express some degree
of remorse about it or wasn't otherwise profoundly
affected by it.
2. I have never met a woman who admitted to having
more than one abortion.
3. People who are the most adamant against abortion
because of "fetal rights" are typically against
welfare and for capital punishment.
4. Biologically speaking an umbilical cord is the most
extreme form of welfare yet devised and some women DO
have children for the express purposes of getting more
free money from the state.
5. Violent sociopathic criminals tend to have troubled
childhoods wherein they are neglected, unwanted, and
abused. So I ask, "are we sparing them in the womb
only to put them on death row when they turn 18?"
6. Most people who so zealously champion the
preservation of unborn fetuses of this country don't
give a moments thought to the millions of children the
world over that are already born and starving to death
or dying of AIDS.
7. The guys who blow up abortion clinics probably
don't get laid often.

So much for my two cents. :)

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson