[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Mon Jun 6 08:27:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, spike wrote:

>Kevin my father-in-law has a terrible fear of flying,
>specifically that the wings would come off in turbulence.  I
>launched into a big pontification on how they are stress
>tested, inspected, planes never have structural failure
>in flight, bla bla and yakkity yak.  About a week later
>the tail fell off that French plane causing it to punch
>a deep hole into the earth.  He has not flown since.

I look forward to turbolence every time I fly, to avoid boredom. I am
usually disappointed, since the flight is very smooth all too often :-)

The recent rise of low-cost, no-frills airlines here in Europe has
aggravated the problem, because now the ticket is anywhere between $5 and
$50 plus airport taxes, and for those prices they can't afford to give you
even a little snack. So there's nothing to do except look out of the
window (if it's not cloudy) and sleep.

Alfio