[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 6 15:53:18 UTC 2005

--- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:

> While I was in the shower I realized that the fear of course comes
> from a PERCEIVED loss of control. I realized that we as humans
> constantly fool ourselves into believing that we are in some sort of
> control when in fact we are not.
> This is evident in the way that we handle our everyday lives.

I have a solution for you, then: bring your laptop with you on the
flight, with the x-plane flight simulator installed. Select the type of
aircraft you are flying on from the inventory (once you are boarded,
before you take off) and program in a flight plan (based on the
airport, air corridors, etc), then set it on autopilot and close the
computer. You have now, subconciously, set the course for the 'plane'
you are flying, and are therefore 'in control' of its course.

They will of course require you turn the computer off at takeoff, but
with a good pair of earplugs you won't hear that and you can continue
on believing it is you who is flying the plane through your autopilot...

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com