[SPAM] Re: [extropy-chat] Famous author self destructs in public!Filmateleven.

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jun 6 17:46:24 UTC 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Charlie Stross wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2005, at 09:29, Olga Bourlin wrote:
>

>> It is a blessing to have safe, legal abortions for women.
>>

> A point the more public-facing anti-abortion groups never seem to
> get round to talking about is that banning abortion won't stop
> abortions from happening; it'll just make them unsafe criminal
> affairs, carried out furtively, with an attached significant death
> toll.
>
> (The more extreme anti-abortion groups, notably the Christian
> reconstructionists, want to bring in the death penalty for
> abortionists *and* the women who use their services *and* for
> adulterers *and* for homosexuals ... but they don't make a big
> point of bringing this up in front of the general public. Can't
> imagine why.)

Among other reasons that adultery one would seriously thin their
ranks and remove a lot of their leaders.

Of course it would probably be enforced about like similar things are
in Saudi Arabia.  They have serious head chopping laws against
adultery.  But you have to be accused in such and such formal way by
two adult men of good standing whe were actual witnesses.  Kinky.
It generally works out that mutual self-interest keeps too many cases
from making it to chop-chop square.   When I was there in the 80s you
could find Mercedes parked out in the desert beyond the city lights
at night.  The well-heeled often went to Bahrain or even Thailand for
the weekend.

- samantha