[extropy-chat] Stross in The Times

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 7 00:46:44 UTC 2005

At 02:13 PM 6/6/2005 +1000, Brett wrote to Charlie Stross:

>So what are you a Canadian living in the US or what? I'm curious because
>I know that you are an observer of developments in ideas futures and I
>am wondering where in the world you are observing them from. I'm
>watching from Australia.

Charlie's profile just appeared in the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFriendly/0,,1-1506-1639410,00.html

June 05, 2005

The geek taking over the galaxy

If imagination is the key to success for a writer, Charles Stross has it in
spades. His own future is looking bright, writes David Stenhouse

'I've had 15 years of total obscurity," explains the pale, shaven-headed
man with the extravagant black beard as he sits squinting at the sun
outside an Edinburgh cafe.

"I feel like a dog that has been chasing cars for years," he says. "Now
I've finally caught one."

Charles Stross, a former pharmacist, computer programmer and full-time
dreamer about mankind's future, is allowed to feel proud of himself. For
more than a decade he has been labouring in literature's version of a
distant galaxy. Now it looks like he may be about to achieve major
mainstream success.

Critics around the world are heaping praise on the Edinburgh-based writer,
who is up for no fewer than three Hugo awards, the most prestigious prize
in the world of science fiction. More impressive still, the three
nominations are for different pieces of work. His galaxy-spanning thriller
Iron Sunrise is nominated as best novel and two novellas are up for
separate awards.

As literary prizes go, the Hugos are part Booker prize and part beauty
pageant, nominated by science-fiction fans.

In August, when the 63rd World Science Fiction Convention comes to Glasgow,
Stross's output will be judged and voted on by a jury of his peers. If he
wins, the critical acclaim could well see him join the ranks of Iain Banks
and JG Ballard as a writer who commands mainstream respect as well as a
cult following.

Stross certainly seems to have the makings of a star. It's not just that
his novels are packed with enough high technology and wild invention to
satisfy the most abstruse tastes; his main theme is one which everyone in
this sector of the galaxy should be interested in.

"I'm really fascinated by what it means to be human. The human condition is
very weird, very wonderful, very wild and varied.

"A glimpse in a history book will tell you that things have not always been
as they are now. The Aztecs were unimaginably strange psychologically. This
was a civilisation that every 50 years executed thousands of people to make
sure the sun rose the next day. Nevertheless, they were a stable human
society.

"Science fiction is the mirror image of the historical. It allows us to
show people in circumstances we haven't experienced, in events that have
not yet happened, might not happen or in their more fantastical form may
well happen.

"What interests me is the idea that human beings are behaviourally plastic.
This all means you can engineer the human condition, and that's before you
start to imagine the post-human."

If it all sounds a bit abstract then it is not. In Stross's novels men and
women still drink, laugh, argue and make love. Teenagers are still
recognisably teenagers.

It's just that they wear cloned clothes and cleaner robots are afraid to
enter their bedrooms. These human characters allow even readers who don't
have a grip on the technology to enjoy Stross's books.

In Iron Sunrise, the plucky heroine Wednesday Shadowmist has a virtual
friend called Herman whose thoughts are beamed directly into her
cerebellum. There is also an evil cult called the ReMastered (the Space
Nazis) that have, as their name suggests, been given the kind of upgrade
that eugenecists could only dream of.

So what has given 40-year-old Stross, who lives with his wife and two cats
in a flat in Leith, Edinburgh, such a visionary view of mankind's future?
Leaving aside the fact that as a small boy in his native Leeds he would
devour all the science-fiction books in his local library, inhaling the
dystopian visions of JG Ballard and Brian Aldiss, Stross's early twenties
gave him all the inspiration he needed when he grabbed a ringside seat at a
revolution.

In the 1980s, when most of us had not yet heard of the internet, Stross had
one of the earliest e-mail addresses in the country. Taking part in what he
describes as "possibly the biggest revolution in communication since the
invention of language" blew his mind.

Nowadays just about every cafe in town is full of people tapping away on
their laptops. But Stross is a hardcore computer user, more interested in
code and programming than in fancy gadgets. It's not hard to imagine him in
a cubicle in Silicon Valley happily feeding endless lines of digital code
into a computer mainframe.

Sometimes it makes him seem like an ubergeek. At one point he says
"regrettably I'm monolingual in human tongues. I deal with computers but
not foreign languages".

He's not joking. His website contains diatribes on the state of science
fiction and attacks on internet censorship. He is a regular on newsgroups
and bulletin boards and his site features nostalgic hymns of praise to
obscure computer languages.

At one point he presents a lighthearted description of himself in "geek
code", a mock furmula invented by himself.

Once decoded, he says, it reveals he is a "geek of technical writing", that
his T-shirts tend to bear political slogans (though today he is wearing
standard goth black, which seems to have gone a bit purple in the wash) and
he'll "be the first in line to get the cybernetic interface installed into
my skull".

Even without the interface, Stross believes in networking. Send him an
e-mail and he will be happy to send you the electronic manuscript of
whichever book he's working on. And he'd welcome your comments.

It's a million miles away from the touchy, self-protective way most writers
behave.

"Of course I become defensive if someone doesn't like my book," he says.
"That is a natural reaction, but you must be careful not to take it too
far. Stephen King had a very good piece of advice for would-be
storytellers. If there's something you really really like but several test
readers don't get it, you had better look at taking it out. Investing too
much of your ego in the work is going to drive out the work and leave only
the ego."

But for all Stross' success, it is important to realise that, at least
once, he got left behind by the technological revolution he now admires.

In 1994, Stross had a brilliant idea. Working as a young computer
programmer and filled with excitement at the possibilities of the internet,
he began to write The Web Architect's Handbook, the first guide to
designing a personal website.

The dot com boom was a few years in the future, but there was a hunger for
information on how to exploit the resources of the internet. Stross's
knowledge could have made him a fortune. But he got sidetracked by other
projects and by the time the book appeared in 1996 it had been swamped by
other titles on the same subject.

It seems like a classic missed opportunity, but though the guide came to
nothing, he learned a vital lesson from it. The future comes quicker than
you think.

More than 10 years on, the bewildering speed of scientific progress is the
theme behind Stross's new book, Accelerando, a novel made up of nine
interconnecting short stories that one critic has described as his
"renaissance cathedral", another says it is "destined to change the face of
the genre".

Accelerando describes a universe that, starting the day after tomorrow,
accelerates in technological know-how so fast that before long human beings
are downloading their personalities and uploading new talents at the press
of a button.

At its heart the novel is a comic, sprawling family saga. The first chapter
begins a few years from now with a gadget freak called Manfred Macx. Within
a few chapters it has spun forward into the far future, following the
adventures of his extended family. Oh, and some of the book is narrated by
a robot cat.

"My job is to entertain people," explains Stross. "If I don't entertain
people they're not going to read it. I am competing in an economy of
information with the movies, the internet and the new Dr Who series, so I
have to keep people amused."

That mixture of human comedy and cutting-edge technology clearly pays
dividends. Even leaving aside the Hugo nominations, critics of science
fiction are falling over themselves to praise Stross's work.

Andrew Wilson, the editor of Nova Scotia: New Scottish Speculative Fiction
(an anthology of new Scottish sci-fi to which Stross has contributed an
original twist on the Faustian pact), sees Stross as being in the vanguard
of a new wave of Scottish science fiction writing "It used to be that if
you spoke about a Scottish spacecraft, people just laughed. But now we are
the country that produced Dolly the sheep, the country that develops
artificial intelligence," says Wilson. "You don't need to pretend to be
American to write science fiction. Charlie is clearly a massive talent.
Rather like taking a broken down old car and sticking a fusion engine in
it, he has the capacity to transform material that was looking old and give
it new life.

"I think Accelerando is a crowning achievement. And this will be his year."

The 63rd World Science Fiction Convention is held in Glasgow from August
4-8. Accelerando is published in Britain by Orbit on August 4