[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Neil Halelamien neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:08:58 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Terry W. Colvin <fortean1 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Ray.  I remember seeing newsclips of this experiment.  If not wholly
> learned then this is a genetic memory.  I wonder if this experiment has
> included primate babies, chimps, gorillas, and orangutans?

I don't recall about primates, but the visual cliff experiment has
definitely been repeated on primates and cats. It's one of the staple
experiments of perception science -- I think there's been a good bit
done on trying to determine precisely which area of the brain is
responsible for the effect.

I don't have time to search right now, but a google scholar search
turns up plenty of results:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22visual+cliff%22