[extropy-chat] fanatic anxietist

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 8 16:39:36 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> > I wonder why they didn't deploy the little EMP (or is it microwave)
> > gun that stops modern cars dead.  They could then deal with the
> > threatened suicide without tying up all that traffic and so much
> > impact.
>
> Because, much as they have been discussed and are under development,
> there aren't any field-ready EMP guns yet.  Not even for the military
> (which accepts reliability as low as the Patriot anti-missile
> system), and certainly not for law enforcement.

Actually, HERF and EMP guns have been demonstrated in the past and are
quite capable. The problem is the same morons who live in paranoid fear
of power lines and wall outlets get OSHA to kill the funding, claiming
that killing a cars circuits would create an obstacle to traffic,
causing greater risk of accidents, and that bombarding the occupants
with high energy EM energy is a health hazard...

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com