[extropy-chat] volcanoes on titan

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 05:47:44 UTC 2005

--- Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> >From the article:
>
> "Scientists have long speculated that the organic materials in
> Titan's
> atmosphere were formed by seas or lakes of methane or ethane, but the
> latest Cassini images did not show any evidence that Titan is awash
> in pools of methane."
>
> The Huygens images showed what looked like a river system, and I
> remember people saying at the time that they also showed a sea or
> large lake (presumably of something like methane or ethane), though
> to me the pictures looked too bland to tell either way - is the
> consensus now that there aren't any seas or lakes there?

The photos showed up remarkably Tatooine-like, much like Mars, Venus,
i.e. all other arid desert planets we've landed on (including the
orange tint) and while there appeared to be a 'river' system, I seem to
recall that Valles Marineris is remarkably river-like as well, and dry
as heck.... and the "sea" also appeared similar to "seas" and "canals"
once envisioned on Mars, so far as we can tell. At this point it does
appear both less swampy than had been predicted but also geologically
and atmospherically more promising for long term manned exploration.
The extensive greenhouse effect in evidence makes for a promising
environment for human habitation (albiet in environment suits).

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com