[extropy-chat] CHINA: Threat proponents not chicken littles...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 17:56:40 UTC 2005

Thanks, I'm sorry I kicked back.

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> Actually I apologize.  It is not that easy to find such links.  I was
> thinking of some items (iirc) that we have sold like various military
> helicopters, guidance systems, supercomputers, satellite technology
> and so on.  We have also done some joint military exercises.  But
> mostly Mike is right that we haven't stocked their major military
> hardware.  There does seem to be a flow of arms from US to Israel to
> China through back channels.  But most of the hardware they don't
> build themselves seems to source from Russia.

Yes, most of the assistance we gave was during the Clinton years, when
Bubba couldn't seem to keep from getting rid of any export restriction
possible. Then of course there is the case of the father of their ICBM
program was a fellow who had fled to the US in the 50's, been involved
in our program, then went home to help the motherland. There was also
the case of a certain satellite company here who, in order to reduce
the launch risk to their own satellite they'd hired China to launch for
them, gave China technology that vasly improved the accuracy of their
ICBMs. And another bit was the classic submarine propeller machining
equipment.

Supercomputers are not a big deal. Pakistan developed its nuclear
program using beowulf clusters of desktop pcs.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com