[extropy-chat] What % of global economic activity is dependant on military activity?

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Fri Jun 10 19:59:28 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> Lifespan Pharma Inc. wrote:
>
>> What I mean is to delineate the point of diminishing  returns at which
>> testing out technology by military enterprises no longer serves the
>> purpose
>> of yielding information from which to make more durable or efficient
>>  or yield  improved  technological innovations.
>>
>> Putting AK47's and and landmines cannot possibly yield much towards
>> an improved human condition.
>> Putting up a GPS satellite network does improve the human condition
>> in measureable ways.
>>
>> One could begin to classify global military activity into  a spectrum
>> and rate the
>> societal or other  benefits,  short, medium and long term  of these
>> activities.
>>
>> This like QALY ratings for medical intervention economics  might
>> yield a cost/benefit
>> system for military activity economics.
>>
>> This might allow rationalization of global military economics.
>

> The problem is that actually deploying weapons has no economic benefit
> whatsoever - just the reverse.
> If, say, the military obsession was replaced by a space colonisation
> obsession I think we would see all the benefits we currently get from
> military spending plus a 'deployment benefit' of vast magnitude.

To date the "deployment benefit"   might be justified in the creation of
a globalization of economics and
social structures but what I suggest is that it  should be quantified as
to  the exact costing  of this exercise.

Just like a  QALY  (Quality Adjusted Life Year) of say $1,000,000  being
unjustifyable in most cases by a public healthcare system a similar
QAMTE (Quality Adjusted Military Technology Event) should seek to
measure the cost VS the
measureable impacts.

One could do historical practice case studies such as "WW2",  'The
Berlin Wall" , "The formation of the EU" or "Iraq invasion"
to get a feel for the methodology, then apply the model to current and
future "Military Technology Business Cases".

MFJ

LIFESPAN PHARMA Inc.
Extropian Agroforestry Ventures  Inc.
Mission: To Preserve, Protect and Enhance Lifespan
Plant-based Natural-health Bio-product Bio-pharmaceuticals
http://www.angelfire.com/on4/extropian-lifespan
<http://www.angelfire.com/on4/extropian-lifespan>
http://www.4XtraLifespans.bravehost.com
<http://www.4XtraLifespans.bravehost.com>
megao at sasktel.net <mailto:megao at sasktel.net>,  arla_j at hotmail.com
<mailto:arla_j at hotmail.com>, mfj.eav at gmail.com <mailto:mfj.eav at gmail.com>
extropian.pharmer at gmail.com <mailto:extropian.pharmer at gmail.com>

Extreme Life-Extension ..."The most dangerous idea on earth"
-Leon Kass , Bioethics Advisor to George Herbert Walker Bush

 Radical Life-Extension Bioscience
+Total Information Awareness Globalized Info-science
=The 21st Century Paradigm.....
Re-inventing the Human Condition from Quantum to Macro
***"I will live each 50 years, one at a time".... Morris Johnson - June
2005***