[extropy-chat] what to do

Marc Geddes marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jun 11 08:16:39 UTC 2005

>9. Mangled Worlds - Learn and apply enough physics theory to figure >out if my mangled worlds concept really is the solution the deep >mystery of quantum mechanics that it seems to me.  Maybe a 25% >chance I'm right, but if I am, and I take the time to explain myself >clearly, would establish a strong reputation as a deep thinker.  Should >know one way or other in 3 years.  Would be fun, though not clear it >has any practical implications.

That sounds the most exciting and intriguing.  What are 'Mangled Worlds'?  What's the relation to the MWI of QM?

I do think on practical grounds that (1) is your best option though.  I'd like to see a book on rationality and I think it woud sell well.  I wonder, is there some way you could combine (1) with (9) ?  After all, aren't epistemology and metaphysics connected?  Would there be any implications of 'Mangled Worlds' for probability theory?  (Remember:  MWI does seem to be the 'natural' interpretation for Bayesian reasoning doesn't it)?  Perhaps you could write your book focusing on (1) but including some of your ideas for (9).

In fact, perhaps you could combine the PAM ideas, the Managed Worlds ideas AND the ideas about rationality in one book.  Develop a comprehensible new philosophy for all existence.

For an example of how you might be able to weave together metaphysics, epistemology, ethics and politics, see a brief essay I wrote for 'Transhumanity' a while back:

http://transhumanism.org/index.php/th/more/461/

Actually, your best bet for changing the world is to go for broke and devote all your time and energy to creating the world's first Friendly Artificial Intelligence ;)

---

THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,
The one the other will include