[extropy-chat] IQ vs Uploads (was: what to do)

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Sat Jun 11 15:25:43 UTC 2005

At 10:30 PM 6/10/2005, Dirk Bruere wrote:
>>3. Upload Futures Papers and Book - Return to and finish my papers analyzing
>>the social implications of future technologies, particularly uploads.
>I suggest a more modest variant on an analysis of future tech.
>Namely, the impact of populations with genetically (or otherwise) enhanced
>intelligence.
>Consider the book "IQ and the Wealth of Nations"
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_IQ
>Take it from there.
>Then throw in the effects of longevity - is it a plus or minus?
>It would certainly make an impact and unlike uploading, people will relate
>to it almost immediately since the tech is starting to come together right now.

What most needs analysis are changes that are not captured in existing
trends. IQ has been increasing and that has had effects for a long time.
So all of the existing trend-based analysis already captures a big
similar effect.  The effects of the upload transition are not, however,
much captured in existing trends.

Associate Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323