[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 02:22:04 UTC 2005

It's true. F-15s and F-16s generate 50% of their lift with their
fuselages, so the complete loss of one wing at the root is only a loss
of 25% of total lift, at most. I first saw this in a military exercise
in Alaska where an Eagle and a Falcon sheared off one of each others
wing at the root and both returned to base from 20+ miles away.

This photo shows one example:
http://www.harry.hirschman.com/Aviation_Pages/Mil_Row-1.html of a
similar collision an Israeli air force f-15 suffered in an exercise
over the Negev desert flying against an A-7.

--- "kevinfreels.com" <kevin at kevinfreels.com> wrote:

> I somehow doubt that a jet with wings ripped off at the root would be
> able
> manage controlled flight back to base. As for the French plane, those
> jets
> barely even need a rudder. It's only function is to assist landing in
> crosswind.

Mike Lorrey