[extropy-chat] RE: [wta-talk] RE: [Trans-Spirit] Multi personalities reveal self isfiction

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 02:47:03 UTC 2005

--- mike99 <mike99 at lascruces.com> wrote:

> I have greatly simplified the plot situation here, needless to say.
> What I want to focus on is the episode in which Phaethon, reacting
> to the possible mental virus infection, shuts down most of his vast,
> technologically-enhanced
> brain-machinery, and goes into his basic mental "workspace." This is
> the equivalent of operating your PC in "safe mode." Within this
> workspace, Phaethon runs a system diagnostic to look for any
> suspicious, mental-virus type activity.
>
> This fictional situation raises the question: Who is operating in the
> workspace? Is there some "kernel" within the brain-machinery of
> Phaethon that is his essence?

On the contrary, one has one's personality loaded into RAM space from
HD space. The RAM instantiation is conciously operating but can
critically examine every bit that is on the long term memory HD,
including one's kernel, as the HD data is unconcious.

Something similar operates with people, in that we seem to have
separate short term and long term memory functions, where damage to one
does not mean damage to the other. The short term, of course, seems to
be what you remember since you last booted up (i.e. woke up), while the
long term memory is your permanent record (seemingly editable, though).

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com