[extropy-chat] Fear of flying

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 14:51:30 UTC 2005

What you should have read was "wing". One wing per plane shorn off at
the root. It would be an interesting experiment in a wind tunnel to see
if an F-15 could fly without both wings. The intakes, being
hydraulically manipulable up and down, should provide some control, and
of course you have two engines that are independently throttlable, so
you should have some control in all three axes between them. The wings
primarily provide lift for maneuvering and for whatever fuel and
weapons are carried on them, so they should be somewhat redundant to an
aircraft in flight with 50% of its lift remaining in the fuselage, much
like a lifting body.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com