[extropy-chat] Re: RE: [wta-talk] RE: [Trans-Spirit] Multi personalities reveal self isfiction

John-C-Wright at sff.net John-C-Wright at sff.net
Mon Jun 13 17:29:43 UTC 2005

An interesting discussion. Thank you for including me.

My only comment as the author of the GOLDEN AGE is that, for the purposes of
fiction, it was convenient to suppose that there was some sort of essential self
to the personality, aside from what could be digitally recorded from memories.
In my story I had to suppose that there was a difference between a man who has
another man's conscious memories, but retains his own personality, and a man who
has his personality replaced or mixed with another personality. The first is
like a man who reads another man's diary, even if a very detailed diary: he
knows everything Shakespeare ever did, spoke or thought, but he cannot write a
Shakespeare play. The second is like a man who is a reincarnation of
Shakespeare; his creative spirit, the mysterious unknown factors which make
someone himself and not someone else are present.

In the story, it was convenient to suppose that, due to innate limitations on
any thinking system, no one can fully and entirely understand himself. The story
supposes that only a superhuman intellect, a Sophotech, has the understanding
necessary to know what the essential self of a merely human mind consists of.
(The plot point was needed to give a reason why a society that hated and feared
Sophotechnology would be required to use it to make back-up copies of their own
minds, virtual immortality.)

Whether it is this way in reality or not, someone wiser than me will have to
answer.

In my own humble opinion, statements like "There is no irreducible self, but
only the minimum necessary set of mental processes required in order to have
human-level awareness" may turn out to be true, but then again might not. I
think it premature, at our present level of understanding about the human mind,
to be too confident. We have not yet reduced the workings of the human mind to a
mechanical description. It is possible, for example, that something like a
Godelian incompleteness or Heisenbergian uncertainty will prevent the analysis
of the human mind into a mechanical description. While a philosopher might be
able to invent arguments to support the notion that it must be the case that the
mind, in theory, is open to such reduction, such conclusion remains theoretical
until confirmed by experience, that is, until someone actually reduces to the
mind to components in a description, and proves no essential self is needed in
the description.

Whether I have an essential self or not, I am glad you enjoyed my humble book;
or, at least, the part of me that thinks of itself as “I” appears to itself to
be glad.
John C. Wright