[extropy-chat] IQ vs Uploads (was: what to do)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 19:23:32 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
> Just like we can unplug computers now.
> Except we had better replug them pretty quickly unless we want our
> company/whole world to collapse.
> AIs will self improve for the same reasons computers get upgraded
> with h/w and s/w - because if we don't our competitors will.
> Sure we can pull the plug, but only if we are willing to return to
> the
> Victorian Era shortly after burying the billions who would starve to
> death or die in the resulting wars.

This is a similarly simplistic outlook. The reality will likely be
something like IT departments will have pshrinkware in addition to
anti-virus, firewall, and other softwares. Pshrinkware will constantly
diagnose AIs for signs of paranoia, schizophrenia, sociopathy or
psychopathy, megalomania, etc. and will be able to recompile AI kernels
that get too far out of whack. Businesses may have occasional problems
like they do with worm/virus/trojan attacks today and individual
workers may have down-time.

Likely the most effective way of keeping AIs sane will be for companies
to give personality exams to workers who interact with AIs, to ensure
that only sane persons interact with them.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com