[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) The Interactive Truth

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 15 23:41:28 UTC 2005

June 15, 2005

  The Interactive Truth

By STACY SCHIFF

It used to be that the longest unprotected border in the world was that
between the United States and Canada. Today it's the one between fact
and fiction. If the two cozy up any closer together The National
Enquirer will be out of business.

More than 60 percent of the American people don't trust the press. Why
should they? They've been reading "The Da Vinci Code" and marveling at
its historical insights. I have nothing against a fine thriller,
especially one that claims the highest of literary honors: it's a movie
on the page. But "The Da Vinci Code" is not a work of nonfiction. If one
more person talks to me about Dan Brown's crackerjack research I'm
shooting on sight.

The novel's success does point up something critical. We're happier to
swallow a half-baked Renaissance religious conspiracy theory than to
examine the historical fiction we're living (and dying for) today. And
not only is it remarkably easy to believe what we want to believe. It's
remarkably easy to find someone who will back us up. Twenty-five years
ago George W. S. Trow meditated on this in "Within the Context of No
Context." Then it indeed appeared that authority and orthodoxy were
wilting in the glare of television. Have we exterminated reason in the
meantime?

If you are 6 years old and both your parents read one online, you can be
forgiven for not knowing what a newspaper is. You would also be on to
something. The news has slipped its moorings. It is no longer held
captive by two-inch columns of type or a sonorous 6 p.m. baritone. It
has gone on the lam. Anyone can be a reporter - or a book reviewer, TV
star, museum guide, podcaster or pundit.

This week The Los Angeles Times announced
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-ednote12jun12,0,3840544.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials>
its intention to exile the square and stodgy voice of authority farther
yet. The paper will launch an interactive editorial page. "We'll have
some editorials where you can go online and edit an editorial to your
satisfaction," the page's editor says. "It's the ultimate in reader
participation," explains his boss, Michael Kinsley. Let's hope the
interactive editorial will lead directly to the interactive tax return.
On the other hand, I hope we might stop short before we get to
structural engineering and brain surgery. Some of us like our truth the
way we like our martinis: dry and straight up.

Kinsley takes as his model Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia to
which anyone can contribute, and which grows by accretion and consensus.
Relatedly, it takes as its premise the idea that "facts" belong between
quotation marks. It's a winning formula; Wikipedia is one of the Web's
most popular sites. I asked a teenager if he understood that it carries
a disclaimer; Wikipedia "can't guarantee the validity of the information
found here." "That's just so that no one will sue them," he shrugged. As
to the content: "It's all true, mostly."

What if we all vote on the truth? We don't need to, because we will be
overruled by what becomes a legend most: entertainment. Twenty-one
percent of young Americans get their news from comedy shows. Journalism
once counted as the first draft of history. Today that would be
screenwriting. As Frank Rich reminds us
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/12/opinion/12rich.html>, the enduring
line from Watergate - "Follow the money" - was not Deep Throat's. It was
William Goldman's. And "Show me the money" was Cameron Crowe, not
President Bush.

Evidently Deep Throat himself carped, pre-Watergate, that newspapers
failed to get to the bottom of things. Of course apocrypha have always
had staying power. That story about the cherry tree was a lie.
Especially in unsettled times, we love conspiracy theories. They are
comforting and safe. You can go out with a conspiracy theory after dark
and not worry about foul play. Before Oliver Stone there was
Shakespeare, although he generally had the good grace to let a century
or two go by before he contorted history.

What is new is our odd, bipolar approach to fact. We have a fresh taste
for documentaries. Any novelist will tell you that readers hunger for
nonfiction, which may explain the number of historical figures who have
crowded into our novels. Facts seem important. Facts have gravitas. But
the illusion of facts will suffice. One in three Americans still
believes there were W.M.D.'s in Iraq.

And that's the way it is.

Maureen Dowd is on book leave.
Stacy Schiff, the author of "A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France,
and the Birth of America"
<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9807E3DA1F3FF935A35757C0A9639C8B63&n=Top%2fFeatures%2fBooks%2fBook%20Reviews>
and a Pulitzer Prize winner, is a guest columnist for two weeks.
E-mail: schiff at nytimes.com <mailto:schiff at nytimes.com>

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/15/opinion/15schiff.html?th&emc=th
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/15/opinion/15schiff.html?th&emc=th>

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program
veterans, Allies, CIA/NSA, and "steenkeen" contractors are welcome.]