[extropy-chat] Death

Marc Geddes marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jun 16 06:52:55 UTC 2005

We are just at the stage now with bio-tech that info-tech was at in the early 1970's.  Give it another 25 years and I'm confident we'll be seeing an explosion of advances as bio-tech reaches 'take-off', just as info-tech reached take-off in the late 80's.  The foundation is there - stem cells definitely have huge potential - it just needs to be realized.  We just need to hold out another 25 years and we'll have aging and disease on the run.  Around the same time... may be... just may be... we'll see the long awaited Singularity that will largely lick aging and death for good.

I realize that many more deaths will occur in that 25 year waiting period, which is really sad for the people who just missed out.  It is cold comfort to realize that victory might be achieved in 25 years time when people are dying in the here and now.  But victory we must have - only that can give meaning to the people who have been lost.

I want everyone here to swear the transhumanist oath.  Raise your hand.  Swear.

“I swear by the shelters of the stars (a mighty oath, if you but knew it)...
I shall fight to eliminate aging and death before 2030 with every my fiber of my being...
By 2030 either the Singularity will come or I will perish trying'

In the year 2030, let's be sure we are able to revive FM-2030 from his cryonic sleep!

---

THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,
The one the other will include