Slipping away (was Re: [extropy-chat] Death)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jun 16 23:54:01 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

> I was asleep when my uncle from 2
> states away appeared in my room and jokingly told me
> he had died. I woke up, thought it was just a morbid
> dream, vowed to call him later to check up on him, and
> went back to sleep. Later that morning I got a phone
> call from his grand-daughter who told me that he had
> either accidently or purposely removed his oxygen mask
> the night before and died as a result of it. I can't
> explain this, but I cannot disbelieve it either
> because it HAPPENED. So I would encourage Samantha to
> keep a dream log. If the bond between her and Michael
> was a strong as she said, I cannot imagine that he
> would not try to communicate with her if he could. And
> my own experience tells me that we are most receptive
> to this sort of thing in REM state.

Stuart, stuart! Wake up. Wake up.

Seriously bud, the scientist in you, should check the use
by date on whatever you've been eating lately.

I go away from the list for a bit and some of my favourite
rational types and writers of essays on therapeutic cloning
start flirting with the paranormal.

Hey did you even do a "transhumanist" strength/grade
version of that essay? I was kinda hoping to check out
your science.

Brett Paatsch