[extropy-chat] Timescale to Singularity

Marc Geddes marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jun 17 08:55:05 UTC 2005

>Alright. You place your hopes on being able to program
>the A.I. to be nice to you. I'll place my efforts on
>being smarter and more clever than the A.I. That's
>just good advice from my friend Chuck Darwin.

You're dreaming.  A self-improving seed AI undergoing 'hard take-off' would surpass your intelligence level in minutes.

As to being nice, the 'Morality' modality seems to be a HUGE intellectual strong-point for me.  I believe I was born with a freak intuitive sense of morality which will enable me to swiftly cut through to the solution without much thought.  That's why I'll give Wilson, Yudkowsky and all the rest a run for their money.  It's not a symmetic situation.  I can get most of the answer to the problem of general intelligence simply by studying papers and books for a year or two.  The other AI researchers, on the other hand, won't find even rudimentary answers to morality anywhere.  Should be a good race.

Hee hee

---

THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,