[extropy-chat] peak oil schmeak oil

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 17:42:02 UTC 2005

Woohooo!  Toyota has solved our peak oil problems.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/06/17/toyota_fuel_cell.reut/index.html

Unfortunately the car will cost 50k, but I see a lot
of beemers and Mercedes and such buzzing around that
cost more than that.  And of course they don't actually
eliminate pollution, but they do move it elsewhere, such
as the site where the hydrogen is being made, using
nuclear or coal-fired plants.  So who needs oil anyway?

My contention is that before these kinds of solutions
are widely implemented, we will plow up much of the
American midwestern grasslands, divert rivers inland
and plant it all in corn.

I had a total Taxifornia moment yesterday.  I saw a
city bus that was doing something peculiar: instead of
the usual black diesel cloud, it was spewing a very
pristine white cloud of steam.  I caught up on it and
saw that it was one of the brand new hydrogen powered
buses.  I pulled up beside and noticed it had websites
plastered all over it, advertising itself, such as:

http://www.vta.org/projects/ZEBs.html

I saw that it carried no passengers.  The driver of
this multimillion dollar bus was tooling along in the
carpool lane all by his cheerful self.

Your tax dollars at play.