[extropy-chat] more language stuff

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 17 20:42:32 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
> > ps Why is it that the male counterpart to the catchphrase
> > "you go, girl" doesn't sound right?
>
> I would chalk this up entirely to unfamiliarity.  You've heard "you
> go, girl" a lot, so you're used to it.  Alternate formulations trip the
> newness detector - which, in almost all humans, is inversely (though
> usually only to a minor extent) linked to comfort level...

Ja.  I have heard "you go, girl" applied to men as well,
altho I do not understand that or the etymology of the
phrase.  Anyone?

In the past, feminine references specified female only,
whereas male reference were not usually gender specific:
"hey you guys" for instance is applicable to a mixed crowd,
and an unspecified person is usually called "he."

I understand French and Spanish have analogous structures,
these being languages that use gender specific pronouns
extensively.  Is not the feminine pronoun more specific
than the male?  Or when unknown use the male pronoun el?

So why couldn't it be the other way?

This whole sharing of pronouns situation reminds me of an
uncomfortable trend I have been seeing.  Instead of a mens
restroom with no queue and a women's restroom with a long
queue, many establishments are going to two unisex restrooms,
both with a queue.  Or one women's and one unisex.  The
unjustice!  I will totally sue!