[extropy-chat] Timescale to Singularity

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Jun 18 10:45:06 UTC 2005

On Jun 17, 2005, at 3:11 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> --- Marc Geddes <marc_geddes at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>> Alright. You place your hopes on being able to
>>>
>> program
>>
>>> the A.I. to be nice to you. I'll place my efforts
>>>
>> on
>>
>>> being smarter and more clever than the A.I. That's
>>> just good advice from my friend Chuck Darwin.
>>>

>> You're dreaming.  A self-improving seed AI
>> undergoing 'hard take-off' would surpass your
>> intelligence level in minutes.
>>

> No I'm not. I am just saying that any A.I. that claims
> I am obsolescent would need to prove it to me
> personally. In a fight to the death, you would be a
> moron not to bet on yourself.

In other words you not only don't really believe you would actually
be smarter, you actually believe you are doomed to or would choose a
fight to the death with something you believe will be smarter than
you. But you will pretend otherwise suspecting that will give you
more of a chance.  Something being (a lot) more intelligent than you
does not necessarily mean you are obsolescent or at least not in any
way that will necessarily endanger anything other than your pride.

> Sometimes you guys crack me up. All this talk about
> how mankind must break free of the mental shackles of
> religion and superstition and yet you are all too
> willing to bow down and worship a great golden
> number-crunching calf of your own creation. Bring me
> before your idol and I will break it. That is what
> true iconoclasts do.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

- samantha