[extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued Over Anti-Aging Comments

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 20:38:11 UTC 2005

--- Acy James Stapp <astapp at amazeent.com> wrote:

> Why not? Are we really so stupid that we can't make
> our
> own medical decisions without the oversight of a
> gigantic
> governmental regulatory body? I'm not.

The FDA exists to protect the rubes. You don't need it
but the rubes do.

> > isn'it FDA job to approve pharmaceuticals
> specialties?
>
> Safety and efficacy tests could be done more cheaply
> and
> effectively by private industry. I imagine the UL
> (Underwriter's Labs) and others would be more than
> happy
> to provide this service if it were not being
> provided
> under legal monopoly by government agencies.

More cheaply yes and very probably much more quickly
as well but nowhere as near as completely nor as
objectively. Not there is no corruption in the FDA,
but at least the mission statement of the FDA is not
"find data to support the efficacy and safety of our
client's product."

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson