[extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued Over Anti-Aging Comments

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Jun 21 01:13:31 UTC 2005

 (6/19/05 20:34) Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:

>  However, it seems more and more scientific medicine is going to bed with "alternative medicine" these days.  And money seems to be at the root of this phenomenon.  So, where do we begin?

Start with where the value is, just like with any other business effort.  What you call "scientific medicine," which I assume means the modern medical establishment, has an ample track record of sacrificing science for profits.  This has lead to a not-undeserved reputation in public opinion.  The value that these companies see in 'alternative' medicine is that they can sell it just as easily.

Think about it:  You have two treatments that have a fair amount of uncertainty in their efficacy. One of them suffers from bad PR and will cost billions of dollars to develop.  The other has relatively good PR and will cost millions of dollars to develop. Which would YOU choose if you were a "business" person?

Ethics and intellectual integrity.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein