[extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued Over Anti-Aging Comments

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Jun 21 16:19:13 UTC 2005

 (6/21/05 8:29) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

>No, Bill, they don't. You don't have a right to safety when you engage
>in commerce ignorantly, just as you don't have a right to police
>protection. Who says you shouldn't live in a world full of fraudsters
>if you don't take your personal responsibility to litigate against
>those who defraud you? Most infomercials on tv today are frauds or
>scams: weight loss products, cheap exercise machines, beauty products.
>Frauders abound in the email world.

Of course, you discount the cost of all of this.  Not in terms of 'chilling effect,' but in terms of precious, valuable time.  How on earth am I supposed to have time to contribute in a meaningful economic way when I'm in court battling everyone under the sun.

This particular vision of "Libertarian Utopia" seems particularly stupid to me.

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein