[extropy-chat] Professor Being Sued Over Anti-Aging Comments

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 18:29:56 UTC 2005

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, private industry consumer protection would
> be better than the
> FDA. Underwriters Laboratories, Consumer Reports,
> Insurance Institute,
> and Electrical Testing Laboratories all do their own
> testing of
> manufacturers products, to their own standards.

Actually you might be on to something here Mike. I was
worried that big pharma would have too much influence
on a private underwriting lab. But if it were actually
funded by insurance companies instead of big pharma,
there would be a strong finacial incetive to make sure
that drugs were safe before getting their stamp of
approval. Kind of like the way they do the Insurance
Institute for Highway Safety. Something like that I
would go for.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson