[extropy-chat] Ye Shall Reap as Ye Have Cloned

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Jun 23 06:52:28 UTC 2005

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> "Meat and milk from cloned farm animals is about to be declared safe
> for
> human consumption by the US Food and Drug Administration, one of the
> world's
> most powerful regulatory bodies."
>
> http://news.ft.com/cms/s/37766fa4-e357-11d9-b6f0-00000e2511c8.html

Yay!  Now bring on the tissue support machinery, so we can just clone
meat and udder cells directly, and replace the rest of the creature
with superior artificial systems.  (You want cows and pigs as pets?  No
problem.  You want to protest about their inhumane treatment?  Not if
they aren't being used for food anymore...)

> "The FDA would want the ethics to go away but there are people with
> legitimate concerns about the impact of this technology," [a senior
> regulatory scientist at the FDA] said.

Translation: enough of those in power at the FDA are tired of hearing
"but it's unethical!" over and over again, when the specifics of that
claim are increasingly divorced from reality (in their opinion).