[extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jun 23 17:32:01 UTC 2005

If law becomes "mythical and magical" or worse then we are lost.  The
biggest brute force rules, for a time.

But I see the point that its legality is not particularly the point
now.  The point in my view is that we went there based on lies, had
grossly incorrect notions of how it would go, have lost more money
and lives to chicanery and greed, and we will continue to lose in
most every way as long as we hang on to the tar baby.  We are
apparently acting like fools making decisions on the basis of sunk
costs and sentimentality.

Me?  I would throw some arbitrary amount of money in for the Iraqis
possibly under oversight of the UN to patch the country back together
and get the hell out.   Say $50 billion or so.   Of course if I
really believed peak oil is far too real and that the shit was about
to hit the fan in energy and various other ways then I would hang on
to my position there no matter how broken in its reasons or current
results.

- s