[extropy-chat] smaller govt.

c c beb_cc at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 22:28:30 UTC 2005

Though defense spending is much smaller than non defense, there are hidden costs in defense; defense isn't clean, there are countless tons of residue to dispose of; foreign aid that is connected to defense, and the disembodied karma that another poster mentioned yesterday or today. But still, yes, defense spending is much lower. And it does appear defense will be the last of big government will be rid of. I accept the practical over the ideological.
But let us have it clear on this somewhat freemarket list named extropy-chat: many libertarians tend to be more ideological than practical.

I certainly want smaller government, much much much smaller, zero would be perfect, but pruning the Defense sector is the very last place I’d look to achieve that goal. The reason I say this is because generating an army is the most difficult challenge facing radical libertarian free marketers like me. I am certainly not saying it’s imposable, but it is difficult, I expect it will be the very last government function to be replaced by the more efficient market; so don’t be so anxious to dump the Defense department just yet, there is a huge amount of government junk and gunk and nonsense that deserves oblivion before defense.

John K Clark