[extropy-chat] 70% oppose resumption of military conscription

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 00:27:43 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> America is running low on soldiers.  They're putting
> pressure on the
> soldier-producers (recruitment drives and related
> measures) and maybe
> considering re-implementing a draft although that's
> unlikely for
> political reasons...but what they're really getting
> serious about is
> robotics, so they can build more soldiers.  Better
> and more widely used
> robotics has the potential to be a permanent
> solution to their problem,
> not to mention it has other benefits we can take
> advantage of.
>
> Same problem.  Same logic.  Same solution.

Yes but while robot soldiers would be fine in a search
and destroy mission or a pitched battle, they would be
horrible for the mission in Iraq. Our mission in Iraq
currently is more like humanitarian aid than war. We
are not there to kill people and break things. We are
there to build a democracy. I don't think the
Terminator to be quite the olive branch we want to
extend to the Iraqi people right now.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson