[extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jun 27 19:50:52 UTC 2005

On Jun 27, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> --- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 26, 2005, at 12:20 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:
>>
>>>       That is exactly what we are trying to do there
>>> now is give those people self determination.
>>>

>> No, we aren't.  You can give self-determination while occupying the
>> country.  Bringing democracy and the rest is another ad hoc excuse
>> for our actions.
>>

> If the US wants Iraqi oil so badly, why did they allow a French
> company
> to get the vast majority of the oil supply? The oil shibboleth is one
> more lie of the radical left.

Which of the several "reasons" trotted out over time do you believe?
When I see such a pattern of rationalization I tend to think that the
real "reason" is other than the claimed one.   Do you honestly think
I am part of the "radical left"?  Do you even think that such
category claims and venom toward certain claimed categories aids this
conversation?

I am going to bow out of this.  I don't have the time or interest to
continue it.  It is non-productive.

-s