[extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and Legality Again

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue Jun 28 17:37:10 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

>>They are not unreliable when it comes to counting up
>>captured and dead
>>enemy.
>>And 6.25% is not exactly close to Mikes statement of
>>'most' ie >50%
>>

>Well that could be biased by the Iraqi youths being
>talked into taking the higher risk missions and
>therfore getting killed more often. What we really

No, the bulk of the suicide missions are foreigners.
The bulk of the conventional warfare is Iraqi.

>>Then stay and get kicked out.
>>A solid US defeat will make the world a better
>>place.
>>

>How would a solid US defeat make the world a better
>place? Let you buy more McDonald's french fries for
>the euro? Is that is what this all about? The United
>States is not perfect by any stretch of the
>imagination but we try to be better than we are.

It would make any future president think twice about invading anyone
they don't like.
One consequence of Bush's action is that any nation that does *not* want
to be invaded better have WMDs.
A fact not lost on the Iranians.

>>I was one of the millions who demonstrated against
>>the war. The biggest
>>demos in British history.
>>I'd like to see that arse licking poodle Blair hung
>>from a lamppost.
>>

>...  But whereas before when I protested the war it
>was because I thought we were doing the wrong thing
>for the right reasons. Now I support the war because I
>think we are doing the right thing for the wrong
>reasons. If there really is a democracy in Iraq right

It's the wrong war for the wrong reasons and every day makes the world
an unsafer place.

>now at least as real as the one here in the States
>then we did a good thing. If we leave too quickly then
>either the Baathist minority that oppressed the
>majority for so long resumes power or the clerics take
>over which would be just as bad.
>      Babylon used to be a center of civilization for
>the world. We could make it so once again.

Democracy is cannot be imposed against the will of the people.
IMO the only people who will embrace democracy are the Kurds.
All the US is going to have to show for this debacle is a Kurdish state
at war with Turkey, a Sunni Islamic state in the middle and a Southern
Shia state as a close ally of Iran.

>with our tax dollars.
>
> You forgot to
>

>>mention that good
>>old standby of 'they are only blowing themselves up
>>for the money'.
>>

>What? Who says this?

That's the standard line on suicide bombings in Israel and the occuppied
lands.

>>Every time I read a post like yours I feel like
>>cheering those bodybags
>>flying to the US.
>>

>What did I say? Do you disagree with me that the
>insurgents are gullible youths that are tricked into
>fighting for a cause that they hold no stake in? Would
>you disagree with me that most of the U.S. marines
>that are stationed there are gullible youths that are
>tricked into fighting for a cause that they hold no
>stake in? How is what I said condescending?

I would say that the insurgents know full well what they are getting
into and have a far greater stake in the war than any US marine.

>>Hey - it's only a bunch of freakin ragheads - let's
>>go kick some ass -
>>yeeehaaaaaaaw!
>>

>sigh... we're not all from Texas.

"These young men come from the poorest of families
and are lied to every step of the way. From the moment
when some interesting stranger invites him to a feast

with wine, drugs, and dancing girls. To the speeches
about all the fire and brimstone that the infidels
from the Great Satan of the West must suffer for
having defiled the youth's homeland with their foul
presence. To the moment he straps on the bomb
believing himself soon to be in Paradise. A Paradise
where the wine will be even finer than the wine at the
feast and the dancing girls will be houris. Beautiful
angelic virgins whose sole (soul?) purpose in the
after-life is to pleasure the warriors that were brave
enough to martyr themselves for the cause of Islam.
     It is these recruiters and leiutenants that the
military must nab to break the resistance. The rest
would just as easily surrender for a hot meal."

What you wrote there are the ravings of a brainwashed ignoramus.

>Well if they want us to leave let them vote us away.
>If over half of the Iraqis want us gone, I say we
>start packing.

All opinion polls taken so far show the majority of Iraqis want the US
to leave.
The Quisling government does not, for obvious reasons.
And if that govt did call for the US to leave, and started to rescind
all those copntracts which have effecively looted the country on behalf
of the multinationals,  it would be replaced by the US on some trumped
up charge.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-