Meta: Too far Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

Hubert Mania humania at t-online.de
Wed Jun 29 06:23:23 UTC 2005

> Perhaps, unless Hubert wants right of reply, this Meta has gone
> past its usefulness and we might relabel future posts to reflect
> content?
>
> Regards,
> Brett Paatsch

Well, I tried to come up with a reply. But again I deleted four drafts. Just
this:

I experienced the war on Iraq as a severe caesura. Up to that point I
enjoyed discussions about trancending the biological restrictions of
mankind. The war changed everything. Supposedly smart people outed
themselves as coolhearted revanchists and believed the lies they were told.
Worst of all was and is the US patriotism, one of the major drives and
forces behind. In this special respect, the cultural gap between the USA and
Germany is not reconcilable. I simply cannot grasp it.

I am still filled with indignation to read a post like the recent one from
Mike Lorrey where he callously calculates the "losses" in Iraq, fools around
with big numbers and tries to convince us that killing some people today
might result in better living tomorrow. Dear extropes: A man like him with
his political aspirations is a big threat to your noble case. He might be
able to pile up loads of informations to impress your innocent hungry
intellect, but the force behind it is a totalitarian one and reveals the
sheer ugliness of utilitarianism. It is a threat to your physical and
spiritual health and your freedom. And if a man like Stuart LaForge
elaborates on the kindness (sic!) of US soldiers on battlefields all over
the world, everything else he might contribute to this list, is in my
opinion reduced to a pile of shit. Period.

Since the beginning of the war on Iraq I have acquired a bad reputation as a
person who only seems to use dirty word and insult people. I do not regret a
single post and pledge for the right of *not* writing in a civil tone, while
others cold heartedly and verbosely support the killing of innocent people
10.000 miles away from their home. This movement is a dead duck, if you
allow false patriotism as a source of territorial pissings to be prolonged
into potential eternity in a future transhuman society. At least, this is
not *my* vision of transhumanism. Get a little more Un-American!

Love and Peace

humania