Meta: Too far Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Iraq and legality again

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Jun 29 12:37:57 UTC 2005

Frankly, a true and correct vision of transhumanism would not be
nationalistic, but for the future - whatever organization of people and
governing/ruling of society takes place.

Just like pitting one country against another, pitting one political
position against another is lacking in scope and sorely missing the thrust
of transhumanism.

This is precisely why I oppose the forced democracy of WTA and the
insistence by James Hughes, Mike, or Dirk -  or any of us that one
political position is better than another and that people have to fit
neatly into a political box.  All of them - us - have positive things to
offer to the world and it would be good to see them realized rather than
used to dismiss and/or criticize others within our community.

What we need to do is to get futuristic and learn how to rise above this
20th Century inability to resolve conflict.

My best to all,
Natasha

I am not saying that

At 01:23 AM 6/29/2005, you wrote:
> > Perhaps, unless Hubert wants right of reply, this Meta has gone
> > past its usefulness and we might relabel future posts to reflect
> > content?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Brett Paatsch
>

>Well, I tried to come up with a reply. But again I deleted four drafts. Just
>this:
>
>I experienced the war on Iraq as a severe caesura. Up to that point I
>enjoyed discussions about trancending the biological restrictions of
>mankind. The war changed everything. Supposedly smart people outed
>themselves as coolhearted revanchists and believed the lies they were told.
>Worst of all was and is the US patriotism, one of the major drives and
>forces behind. In this special respect, the cultural gap between the USA and
>Germany is not reconcilable. I simply cannot grasp it.
>
>I am still filled with indignation to read a post like the recent one from
>Mike Lorrey where he callously calculates the "losses" in Iraq, fools around
>with big numbers and tries to convince us that killing some people today
>might result in better living tomorrow. Dear extropes: A man like him with
>his political aspirations is a big threat to your noble case. He might be
>able to pile up loads of informations to impress your innocent hungry
>intellect, but the force behind it is a totalitarian one and reveals the
>sheer ugliness of utilitarianism. It is a threat to your physical and
>spiritual health and your freedom. And if a man like Stuart LaForge
>elaborates on the kindness (sic!) of US soldiers on battlefields all over
>the world, everything else he might contribute to this list, is in my
>opinion reduced to a pile of shit. Period.
>
>Since the beginning of the war on Iraq I have acquired a bad reputation as a
>person who only seems to use dirty word and insult people. I do not regret a
>single post and pledge for the right of *not* writing in a civil tone, while
>others cold heartedly and verbosely support the killing of innocent people
>10.000 miles away from their home. This movement is a dead duck, if you
>allow false patriotism as a source of territorial pissings to be prolonged
>into potential eternity in a future transhuman society. At least, this is
>not *my* vision of transhumanism. Get a little more Un-American!
>
>Love and Peace
>
>humania

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet