[extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 22:41:10 UTC 2005

At 02:39 PM 6/29/2005 -0700, Stuart wrote:

> > >And the reason that the administration gave for that
> > >one was not WMD or terrorism but simply drugs. Even
> > > as an 18 year old, I knew that was bullshit but I went
> > >any way to do what I saw was my honor bound duty.
> >
> > It was obviously bullshit but you were honor-bound?
> > This is a strange argument.
>
>This is the Oath of Enlistment that I and all American
>soldiers swear upon joining the military:
>
>"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will
>support and defend the Constitution of the United
>States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that
>I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and
>that I will obey the orders of the President of the
>United States and the orders of the officers appointed
>over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code
>of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US
>Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first
>adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October
>1962)."
>
>I bring to your attention the part that goes:
>"and that I will obey the orders of the President of
>the United States and the orders of the officers
>appointed over me . . ."
>Notice it does not say, ". . . unless the President
>lies or is an asshole." It is an oath sworn to the
>office of the President and not any particular person
>holding that office. Thus one is honor bound to obey
>even a jackass like Bush so long as he IS the
>President.
>Is this clear enough?

Agreed, this is a very difficult and troubling topic. An oath must not be
put aside recklessly or easily. On the other hand, it is obvious that those
in the Iraq army under Saddam also must have sworn such oaths, as must the
German military during the Second World War. Indeed, under certain
circumstances there is a clear moral duty not to obey immoral orders. This
has been apparent at least since the Nuremberg trials. Consider:

http://www.crisispapers.org/texts/UCMJ.htm

Damien Broderick