[extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far [Operation Just Cause: Panama]

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 00:57:05 UTC 2005

--- "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> The Panama Canal is less vital than in past decades
> but still important
> to world
> trade.  The anarchists and do-nothing idealists
> would have us do nothing.
> What maroons!

 I agree that it was very strategically important for
us to maintain control of the Canal Zone despite
having promised to return it to Panama in 1990. But
why couldn't the Bush (yeah it was a Bush then
too)administration have just come out and said, "We
need the Panama Canal and Noriega can't be trusted to
control it?" Instead of "Noriega caters to drug
traffickers through his country." The lie just makes
me feel dirty for doing the right thing.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson