[extropy-chat] DESIGN: WTC New Architecture

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Jun 30 02:33:38 UTC 2005

Avantguardian wrote:
> I don't really think that surface to air missiles on a
> building in a crowded area like Manhattan would be all
> that great of an idea. Yeah, the people in the
> building would be safe, but a burning fully fueled jet
> liner crashing anywhere in Manhattan would have been a
> disaster.

When they wheel out the MANPADs and similar around Washington DC at
particular times, I often wonder if it isn't for show.  Such weapon
systems are nigh useless against a jetliner -- such aircraft are way
outside the kill specifications.

For a normal commercial jet, you need something on the order of the big
naval surface-to-air missiles to have a prayer of stopping it where it
stands.  Whatever makes people feel protected I guess...

cheers,

j. andrew rogers